To revive the history of the Grand Hotel Silva we will have to travel to the beginning of the last century. It was the first hotel in the village, and the only one in the region for over 40 years. Erected at the beginning of the last century, the building belonged to the numerous Silva family, later established as a Hotel by its owners and since 1940, and for over half a century the Hotel was admirably managed by their daughter. If its walls could talk, surely they would tell countless stories! …. Here were held weddings, baptisms and parties over all these years.
The Hotel restaurant was also famously known throughout the region. Travelers, itinerant intermediaries for traders of big cities, stayed overnight here enjoying the plentiful and exquisite gastronomic services. For decades were held the weekly meetings of the Rotary Club of Amarante and often received the “companions” of other clubs in the region: for the friendship, the fellowship, the culture, the good food and excellent wine “Vinho Verde” which finds here its capital – Amarante.
The Hotel has undergone a major refurbishment by the grandchildren of the founder couple, making it more modern and with better conditions. The name will change to Albergaria D. Margaritta, named after the founder, originally from Uruguay.
Earlier this century, the Hotel closed its doors for few years due to difficulties of various kinds including economic crisis and dispersion of the heirs who sought new geographies and new lifestyles.
And a fully renovated and innovative concept, some grandchildren of the grandchildren of the founders, decided to return to the origins and wanted to recover the history of this emblematic building, and hand back to the city not only an excellent accommodation with exceptional amenities, complemented with a cultural offer and leisure activities for the national and international tourism.